Red Sea Boys loses 6-5 to Yanga of Tanzania

News Sport
Red Sea’s defender Flimon Tsegay (left) and Samuel Berhane during their Kagame Castle Cup group A match,

Tanzanian Yanga team survived by the skin of their teeth to make the semifinals of Cecafa Kagame Cup after edging out Red Sea of Eritrea 6-5 on post match penalties in Dar es Salaam on Wednesday.

The teams had tied 0-0 in regulation time after Red Sea who came into the match as underdogs gave a good account of themselves against their more fancied opponents who had massive home support.

In the penalty shootout captain Shadrack Nsajigwa, Rashid Gumbo, Kenneth Asamoah, Davis Mwape, Nordin Haroub and Nurdin Bakari scored their spotkicks while Kiggi Makasi’s penalty was saved by Red Sea keeper Daniel Goitom.

There was drama though as Gumbo and Asamoah retook their penalties after the initial efforts had been saved by the keeper with the referee ruling that he had come off his line each time.

Red Sea penalty scorers were Temesgen Asefaw, Yakob Tekie, Kibrom Andemariam and Keeper Daniel Goitom. Abraham Tedros’s penalty hit the woodwork and Henok Tekie saw his penalty saved by Yanga’s keeper Yaw Berko.

Afterwards, Yanga’s coach could only breathe a sigh of relief, “Today was a lucky escape for us since my strikers failed to click and our opponents were playing a defensive game but I am happy we went through to the semi finals.”

On his part Red Sea coach Efreim Tewolde was happy with his team’s performance despite losing, “it was just an unlucky day for us but am happy we gave a good account of ourselves despite our late arrival to the tournament.”



Yanga labour to dry up Red Sea

Yanga striker Davies Mwape (in yellow jersey) jumps to avoid a tackle by Red Sea goalkeeper Daniel Goitom

By the Guardian Reporter,


Mainland champions Young Africans needed post match dramatic penalties to knock out Eritrea’s Red Sea in the fourth quarterfinal match played at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam yesterday.

Yanga won by 6-5 penalties to set up a second semifinal against Ethiopia’s St. George at the same venue tomorrow.

The teams battled to a barren draw with the visitors packing their defence with more than half of their line-up while making sporadic attacks upfront. Yanga maintained a big part of possession and made more goal attempts than their opponents throughout the match but without a goal. Red Sea played a surprisingly composed game as if they were leading the match while killing the time every time they got an opportunity. Yanga benched Godfrey Taita for Julius Mrope who assisted Shadrack Nsajigwa upfront in search of a goal that proved to be elusive for the day.

Kenyan referee Silvestre Kirwa added three more minutes in extension of the regulation time to compensate for wasted and injury time but favourites Yanga failed to find a breakthrough. Drama unfolded during the shootouts as Red Sea disputed the goal to be used for the tier breaker. After five minutes the teams came to agreement as the northern goal was used and Red Sea were pleased with the decision. Yanga tried to protest for a while but eventually dropped the argument and went on to take the penalties.
Red Sea started to kick off the penalties and had their opening shooter Abraham Tedros missed the target. The third penalty was missed by Kigi Makasi as Red Sea drew level.
Yanga’s Ghanaian striker Kenneth Asamoah had his first attempt of the fourth penalty saved by the Red Sea goalkeeper Daniel Goitom but it was retaken for him to score.

The teams ended the regulation five penalties tied at four apiece before the referee decided the extra sudden death penalties.

Red Sea missed their second added or the seventh one as Yanga’s Nurdin Bakari sent scored the final to send the Eritrea side packing.
Yanga fans who were deep frozen throughout erupted in jubilation after confirming their team has crossed the quarterfinal barrier. Yanga penalties were scored by Shadrack Nsajigwa, Rashid Gumbo, Kenneth Asamoah, Davies Mwape, Nadir Haroub and Nurdin Bakari, Red Sea penalties were scored by Temesgen Asefaw, Yakob Tekie, Kibrom Andemariam, Daniel Ogbagebriel and the goalkeeper, Daniel Goitom. Abraham Tedros and Henok Berhe missed their penalties.

In another quarterfinal clash played earlier at the same venue, St. George saw off Burundi champions Vital’O by 2-0 goals to cruise into the semifinal berth against Yanga tomorrow.

St. George scored the first goal three minutes to half time through Prince Godwin. The Ethiopians celebrated their second goal five minutes into the second half when Salahadin Said beat an offside trap by Vital’O defenders.